Good Morning! I hope you're having a great week so far...mine has been super busy finalising details for a beautiful wedding this weekend. The forecast is looking great, and it's going to be a super pretty wedding for the loveliest of couples. I can't wait to share some pictures with you!
Today I would like to introduce you to the lovely Miriam of Chic Rustique. Chic Rustique is a leading wedding stylist in Australia and has recently expanded its service to cover the UK. Styling guru & floral artiste Miriam is an award winning leading floral designer and experienced wedding planner, and she is now also offering floral design for weddings in the UK during the summer months each year. I'm so excited about Miriams floral design as she has such inspirational ideas for her installations and continuously strives to create unique designs to stretch even the wildest imaginations. I'll let her tell you more about her business and new venture in the UK, before she shares some ideas about hanging floral installations...something which I'm seeing more and more of my couples thinking about for their wedding design, and something I absolutely adore! Over to Miriam....
"I grew up in the beautiful Scottish countryside where, from an early age, I demonstrated an aptitude for creativity and a natural eye for beauty in my everyday surroundings. After an initial foray into music and acting, I chased my dreams all the way to Australia where I ultimately gained qualifications in Floral Design and became Margaret River’s own wedding and flower specialist. My early career in Australia saw me cut my teeth in the vineyard industry, working in a variety of austere locations proving that I can adapt to any location. Indeed I love challenges and have a talent for transforming the most unassuming looking venue into a spellbinding scene. Industrious and tenacious, I have worked tirelessly to become the highly acclaimed floral designer that I am today. I have become widely renowned in Australia for my immaculate taste, passion for creating distinctive design concepts, sincerity and diligence whilst also being sensitive to individual needs. As well as being devoted to my own gorgeous family in Margaret River, I remain true to my British roots and divide my time between my business in Australia and in the UK.
One of the biggest trends that has emerged from the last wedding season and is certain to hang around (wink wink) is the hanging floral installation. They are dreamy for sure and let's face it, who wouldn’t want one at their wedding? However, I would like to make sure you have all the facts about these dazzling displays before setting your heart on one. Don’t get me wrong, I love nothing more than getting down and dirty with one or more of these babies but there are many important logistical, physical and financial pros and cons to take into consideration before saying “I do”!
1. The biggest part about a hanging installation (flowers or anything else) is whether there is something to hang it from. I recently was asked to do a quote for a bride who had picked a venue where it would be impossible to hang anything from the ceiling and yet she had gone and booked the venue. Now I know not everyone is prone to knowing whether a ceiling is fit for hanging things from it but if a hanging floral is a massive part of your styling dream (as was my client’s) , check with the venue before you book it. And don’t always assume you can install hooks, as many venues have strict rules as to what you are permitted to attach to the walls and ceilings. So the next time you look around a potential venue, take my advice and look up!
2. Which brings me to my second point. So you have found a venue which has the means for you to hang your dream floral centrepiece. Be careful at this stage that the room has enough height. If your arrangement is going to be touching the tables when you sit down it may not be ideal. Sure, a low floral can look super cool hanging just above the bridal table but in practical terms you need enough room for a tall person to be able to jump and raise his hands and only just skim the bottom of it. Don’t underestimate how alluring a few hanging flowers can look to people after a few glasses of bubbles!
3. Do make sure that the ceiling will be stable enough to hang any large scale creations. It is very different hanging a few single stems roses from a wagon wheel to a full blown voluptuous construction!
4. Logistics are paramount with setting up these beauties. Talk to your florist or stylist and ask them how much time they will need to install it; whether they will need to create the design on site and how much time they will need to do that. Some venues will only allow access a few hours before the big event and hanging florals can be very time consuming. If a florist knows the time constraints they will be prepared, which makes for happy people all round!
5. And finally, the big consideration! Cost. We all agree that they look just amazing and they will deliver the wow factor on your wedding day but all this comes with a cost. Even if you have a ceiling of foliage, it still has to be bought (or gathered) and installed so please be realistic about your budget. And remember to leave it to the professionals to install as the last thing you need is a huge arrangement cascading down over your entire reception during the wedding speeches. Everybody likes a bit of drama but you want your wedding to be talked about for the right reasons, right? Auntie Daphne wearing a tree for a hat is not the right reason!
At Chic Rustique, we believe that captivating flowers are one of the most significant aspects of your event styling. They build your theme and transform your wedding day space and photo memories. We lovingly craft everything from dazzling contemporary displays through to simple, subtle arrangements: heavenly bridal bouquets, chic button holes, sophisticated church urns, divine garlands, minimal modern posies and decorative table pieces. Chic Rustique is passionate about providing a personalised service which ensures that we truly understand your vision for your day. We typically limit UK bookings to the summer months and we do not do multiple weddings over the same weekend. This is to ensure that each event can be individually tailored to suit your requirements and that the service you receive from us is second to none. We are happy to conduct meetings via Skype or telephone for UK clients and encourage future brides to look at all the Chic Rustique social media pages for photos and testimonials of recent work. Follow Chic Rustique on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and visit their website here.